What are the angles of maximum tilt for each of these skates?
Hockey Skate (Left) and Figure Skate (Right)
Two additional types of skates are shown below: bob skates and child double-runner skates. These skates are for children and are not traditionally sharpened, so they do not glide over the ice. How far could these skates rotate upwards to the front or back, before hitting the plastic or tipping over?
Child Double-Runner Skate
Additional information on the science of ice skating is available on the Schottenbauer Publishing website. Books include the following:
- The Geometry of Winter Olympic Sports
- The Geometry of Figure Skating
- The Science of Ice Skating
- The Science of Hockey
- The Science of Winter Olympic Sports
- The Science of Figure Skating
- The Science of Ice Hockey